Wood heater explodes... Coolaroo

Wood heater explodes... Coolaroo

Herald Sun - News article : "... a timely reminder as winter sets in for parents to supervise their children around heaters and teach them of the dangers.

Lucky escape for Coolaroo family after wood fire heater explosion

A FAMILY has had a lucky escape after their wood fire heater exploded when one of their children put a soft drink can inside.

Two primary school-aged boys suffered minor cuts and abrasions on their arms as the glass panel on the door shattered, sending shards flying through the loungeroom.

Firefighters were called to the Warne St home in Coolaroo at 9.40pm last night.

MFB spokesman David Rankine said there was scalding on the floor but no subsequent fire from the blast.

It is believed the kids had thrown in a can of soft drink that hadn't been opened. It's built up the pressure and exploded, Mr Rankine said. They were very lucky there were no more serious injuries.

Paramedics attended the property and treated the boys, who did not need to be taken to hospital.

Mr Rankine said it was a timely reminder as winter sets in for parents to supervise their children around heaters and teach them of the dangers.

They see mum and dad putting things in there and go oh yeah, what can I put in there , he said.


Leave a comment