FREE bag of kindling with every firewood order online. Limited time only.

(03) 9331 5300
Send Us An Email
1 Stadium Drive, Keilor Park VIC 3042
Open Mon to Fri 7am-4pm
and Sat 7:30am-3pm

Wood heater explodes… Coolaroo

Herald Sun – News article : “… a timely reminder as winter sets in for parents to supervise their children around heaters and teach them of the dangers.

Lucky escape for Coolaroo family after wood fire heater explosion

A FAMILY has had a lucky escape after their wood fire heater exploded when one of their children put a soft drink can inside.

Two primary school-aged boys suffered minor cuts and abrasions on their arms as the glass panel on the door shattered, sending shards flying through the loungeroom.

Firefighters were called to the Warne St home in Coolaroo at 9.40pm last night.

MFB spokesman David Rankine said there was scalding on the floor but no subsequent fire from the blast.

“It is believed the kids had thrown in a can of soft drink that hadn’t been opened. It’s built up the pressure and exploded,” Mr Rankine said.

“They were very lucky there were no more serious injuries.”

Paramedics attended the property and treated the boys, who did not need to be taken to hospital.

Mr Rankine said it was a timely reminder as winter sets in for parents to supervise their children around heaters and teach them of the dangers.

“They see mum and dad putting things in there and go ‘oh yeah, what can I put in there’,” he said.

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.